Sugar and Spice. September 4, 2015.


September 4, 2015.

So I had to get a CT scan yesterday because I was at my appointment once again for a good hour trying to get the mask right. This time was worse though because my patience had reached its max the day before, and this time I was actually in the mask for a half an hour rather than them taking it on and off. As I sat there I started to realize how tight it was and how I really couldn’t move at all. Then I think I almost started to feel claustrophobic and I kind of panicked slightly! Then I was so frustrated and I had such a headache from the mask being too tight that I actually teared up. Now since the CT scan was done the HOPE is that it will be easier from now on! I got some stuff called Magic Mouth wash to help my throat so I can eat solid food. The downside is that I will lose my taste, THE UP SIDE is that I won’t be able to taste the juice! HAHA YES!

I have been thinking a lot about kindness lately. It’s like the Lord knows that I am noticing genuine kindness and was like “Oh you like that? Oh here you go you can see an example of that every single day!” Like I’m not sure if He is just telling me to take a hint and be nicer or if I need to just take notes. Anyway I want to tell you a few incidences. Rose and Jim for starters, (our neighbors at the cancer house). They come over every single day and check on us to make sure we are doing okay. They were at the farmer’s market and thought about my juice and got me stuff to juice. They were doing a load of laundry and came over to see if there was anything we needed washed. And I could sit here and list things off all day but they are genuine and absolutely sweet people. They are the type of people that after you close the door all you can say is, “Oh my gosh they are just so awesome.” Then there’s the Sliker’s. They are family friends that live here in Seattle. They have hosted us at their house and had us over for dinner. They give us vegetables to juice every single week. And yesterday as they were on their way to drop the veggies off they called to see if there was anything they could pick up for us on their way, then they proceeded to give us a ride to Ballard. Once again I could go on! Even just today as we were trying clothes on at the store the lady working there was super sweet and bubbly, it was so refreshing. Also, we went to coffee and lunch today with Yarik (a friend from Moody) and his cousin. They offered to buy our coffee and food without hesitation and when I was about to get an Uber to go to my appointment they said, “Don’t be silly we would love to drive you!”
 So what sets these people apart?

Selflessness: concerned more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own; unselfish. It truly goes beyond kindness when it comes to what set’s these people apart. They are selfless. You can do plenty of kind things with the “karma” mindset without even realizing. Being kind with strings attached and being kind without your heart being in the right place. Boy I am SO guilty of this. Giving people a ride but thinking about how much gas you’re using. Buying someone coffee but hoping that they will pick up the lunch tab. Cooking someone dinner but yelling in a fight, “BUT I COOKED YOU DINNER!” Calling to check on someone but scrolling through Pinterest while they talk. These examples in my life have thought of others needs FIRST. If I were to go do my laundry I would just get it done and wondering if my neighbor had laundry that needed to be done would have NEVER crossed my mind.


Being selfless is against our nature you guys so if you have the same conviction as me right now don’t worry! It’s something you have to work toward. You first need to find examples of your life, actually take the time to notice when people do something for you that is selfless. Then when you are doing the average, mundane things in life (like laundry), stop and see if there is a way that you can be selfless in it. Go beyond kindness and be SELFLESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment