Greener Grass? August 28, 2015.

August 28, 2015.

We are currently in the car driving to Klamath! I'm so grateful that I am able to come home to be at the walkathon! Please pray for safe travels, it's always quite an exhausting trip. I am starting to feel and see the effects of radiation. Today was my 9th treatment so I have dry mouth and I'm starting to see my radiation burn. Other than that everything treatment wise is going great! 

I've been catching myself lately being discontent with things. Discontent with my hair, discontent with being in Seattle discontent with being single, it just becomes a funk that I get in sometimes when I catch myself constantly looking for the greener grass. Then I get online and see a world full of discontent people! Lip injections, a faster car, a younger wife, a better butt, better behaved kids. You long for a white picket fence then when you get it you need the new steel fence. 

Our world tells us to be discontent, "oh you need whiter teeth" "Actually you NEED a bigger phone." We are bombarded with these messages and it is nearly impossible to be content! I had to laugh while we were at the phone store as my Mom pulled out my IPod from Jr. High complete with the touch circle thing that I spent many hours spinning. She has always been content with that because it works. It meets her needs, it isn't broken, so she's content. Here I am, blessed beyond belief to even be alive, and I find myself being discontent. Here in the life that I almost lost, and I am discontent because of my hair color. 

Then I realized, in this world full of material things that promise us happiness, in a world that entices us to get the "next best thing" or the "greener grass" we are left with a bunch of discontent people. I mean look at that celebrity that has the looks, the hot husband, the dream job, and all the money they could ever need, and they commit suicide. 

So what then? You find contentment in the things you already have. Starting with the ultimate contentment in Jesus! I mean He doesn't change, we will always NEED Him, and He is already the best there is. He isn't selling you anything better, He isn't promising you happiness in the next best because He is already the best! What more could we ever want or need? Everything else, I mean EVERYTHING else is an extra bonus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment